New Year's Resolutions: Let's be the 19% in 2023

Personal growth January 5, 2023 By First United Bank

New Year's resolutions are a time-honored tradition - a chance to reflect on the past year and set goals for the year ahead. Whether you want to save money, eat healthier, exercise more, or achieve some other personal goal, making a resolution can be a great way to motivate yourself to make positive changes.

However, it is no secret that many of us struggle to stick to our resolutions; one classic study shows that only 19% of us successfully keep them! So how can the other 81% of us make this year different and keep those New Year's resolutions? It may be easier than you think! Here are some simple tips to help you succeed:

Choose goals that are meaningful to you: It's essential to set personally significant goals. If you don't care about your resolution, you're less likely to stay motivated to pursue it. So, take the time to think about what you want to achieve and why it matters to you.

Make your goals specific and achievable: It's easy to get overwhelmed if you set unrealistic goals for yourself. Instead, choose specific, achievable goals you can realistically accomplish in the coming year. For example, instead of resolving to "exercise more," set a specific goal of working out three times a week.

Create a plan: Once you have your goals in mind, creating a plan for achieving them is important. This could include setting specific action steps, identifying potential roadblocks, and finding ways to overcome them. For example, if your goal is to save money, your plan might include creating a budget, cutting back on unnecessary expenses, or finding ways to increase your income.

FUB Tip: Ask anybody who knows about managing money, and the first question they'll ask is, "Do you have a budget?" If you do not, here is a simple step-by-step guide to creating one today ~ Budgeting 101: Getting Started

Keep track of your progress: It can be easy to lose sight of your goals if you don't regularly track your progress. Consider using a planner or journal to write down your goals and progress towards achieving them. This can help you stay motivated and on track.

Don't be too hard on yourself: It's normal to have setbacks or experience unforeseen challenges as you work toward your goals. Don't let one slip-up or a tough day derail your progress. Instead, stay positive and focus on the progress you have made. Remember that creating lasting change takes time, and being patient is important.

FUB Tip: You're worth creating a life you love, and your habits are a huge part of that. Learn how you can implement a new habit or create a healthier life ~ Staying Motivated: Healthy Habits

Get support: Having a support system as you work toward your goals can be helpful. This could be a friend or family member who can hold you accountable and encourage you or a professional like a coach or therapist who can offer guidance and support.

Following these tips can increase your chances of successfully keeping your New Year's resolutions. Remember to be patient with yourself, stay motivated, and keep working towards your goals. With determination and effort, you can achieve your goals and make positive changes in your life!

Visit First United Bank articles for more tips on Faith, Financial Well-Being, Health and Wellness, and Personal Growth, remembering that we are with you every step of the way!

By First United Bank