Health and wellness January 4, 2016 By
At First United, you hear us talk a lot about helping others to Spend Life Wisely. This can mean many different things to different people. It relates to spending quality time with loved ones, developing yourself, doing what you love, and much more. Many times our health is a key factor in achieving the life we’ve always dreamed of having.
Each day, we consume food to nourish and fuel our bodies. Keep in mind there are key nutrients we all need to maintain optimal health, including vitamins, minerals, proteins, carbohydrates, and fats. By combining the consumption of these nutrients with positive sleep habits, stress management, and routine exercise, we can live a healthier lives.
- Vitamins are found in a variety of foods—especially vegetables and fruits—and are key in helping the body make energy.
- Minerals are divided into two main categories: electrolytes and trace elements. Your body needs electrolytes in larger quantities than trace elements, because electrolytes include sodium, potassium, chloride, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorous.
- Protein is essential for building and repairing body tissues. Each day, we should consume at least 15 to 30 percent of our caloric intake in protein. Examples of proteins are lean meats, dairy products, beans, and eggs.
- Carbohydrates are the main source of energy for our brains. The best types of carbohydrates are whole grains and fruits that are full of fiber because they help reduce risk of heart disease and maintain normal blood glucose levels. Other examples of carbohydrates are breads, grains, and starchy vegetables (such as corn), sugars, and fruits.
- Fat is an energy source that increases the absorption of soluble vitamins, including A, D, E, and K. Instead of consuming saturated fats like those found in burgers, reach for nuts, seeds, avocados, and fish full of omega-3s.
Most of these key nutrients are easy to incorporate into our daily diets. By mixing in vegetables, leafy greens, fruits, nuts, and seafood, we’re likely to get all of the nutrients we need for optimum health and wellness.
By striving to Spend Life Wisely in all aspects of our lives, we will live healthier, happier, and longer. It’s always important to set daily, monthly, and long-term goals and to remember that nothing is impossible. If you believe in yourself, you can achieve it.