Financial well-being November 4, 2021 By
No matter what stage you are in on your life journey, chances are you are cooking up some dreams and goals. You may be planning to buy a new home or car within the next year, thinking about pursuing more education or hoping to pay down your debt. We are here to support you on your journey and share some tips and resources to help you craft your recipe for good credit.
Gather Your Ingredients
Find out more about your current credit score - Requesting and checking your own credit report won't affect your score as long as you order your credit report directly from the credit reporting agency or through an organization authorized to provide credit reports to consumers.
Make a list of all your bills - If you have missed payments, get current and stay current. The longer you pay your bills on time after being late, the more your score should increase. Older credit problems count for less, so the impact of past credit problems on your score fades as time passes and as recent good payment patterns show up on your report.
Bring it all together
After you have your current credit report and know more about your bills, it’s time to bring the ingredients together and get to work.
- Use our “Credit Score Tips and Best Practices” Guide to learn more about credit and how to use it wisely.
- Leverage this resource from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau to perform a deep dive into your Credit Report.
- Watch our video series, “Survive. Revive. Thrive.” In the ‘Thrive’ video, we guide you through using the Debt Snowball and Debt Avalanche techniques for becoming debt free.
Connect and Learn More
Hungry to raise your credit score? There are plenty of resources available for you on our site. Check out some of our most popular blogs and calculators:
- How to Build and Rebuild Your Credit Score
- Protect Your Credit Report From Identity Theft
- Calculator: Auto Loan Affordability
Thank you for trusting First United to help support you on your financial journey. We look forward to seeing you there!